Thursday, July 10, 2008

Clavamox question

Bianca,

I hope you look here; I don't have an email address for you. When
Squoosh was that tiny, he was on liquid Clavamox, and my vet changed
his dosage every few weeks to keep up with his weight. I don't know
what the equivalent dosage in tablet form would be, though. My
suggestion would be to check back with the vet tech. At that age,
eating less might be normal (I once rushed Squoosh to the vet cos he
went through a stage of just licking the gravy off the food and
leaving the food for about three days, just to be told that he's
fine), but the sneezing isn't normal, unless you have allergens in the
house (e.g., smoke, dust), and Mr Kitten is just more sneeze-prone
than other cats. On the other hand, if the kitten *is* sick, it may be
eating less for that reason.

My suggestion would be...well, to not ask me. If I were you, I
wouldn't trust me -- my judgement in some areas sucks butt, and I
would just die if something I suggested hurt the little baby cat. If
the vet tech isn't available, my next suggestion would be to phone
around to different vets to see if any of them would give you a price
break (since this is a rescue--mention that), or free advice, seeing
as how you already have the Clavamox. Possibly it might be wise to let
a vet test for panleukopenia if they feel it is warranted...if I am
remembering correctly, at full price, that ran around $30, but I'm in
a city with a cost of living average that is ludicrous, so it may be
lower where you are. I know that I am not being much help, but I lack
vet skills (I cry when I have to pill one of my furbabies, and the
thought of them seriously ill starts me off on a panic attack...in
short, I am a pathetic pussy), and to make up for that, I have had to
fall back on resourcefulness. For my parking lot ferals, I have
badgered total strangers for help, and have begged vet prices down
even for rabies shots cos I simply can't afford to speuter and
vaccinate sixty or more cats at full price. There are vets that will
work with you, though it may take some calling.

I wish that I could be of more help, but I am probably doing you (and
Kitty) a greater service by admitting my incompetence. I am sorry. I
cannot even remember what Squoosh's dosage was at that weight. :-/ I'm
sorry. But please let me know how the kitten is...I will have my
fingers crossed!

Hugs,
'codia.

No comments: