Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Please, I beg of you...


Do not -- ever -- make a word which ends with the letter 's' a possessive by way of slapping an apostrophe and additional 's' at the end, especially if this word is someone's last name.  It will never be, ever, no matter how much you may wish it, "Fitts's Law".  EVER.  How would one pronounce that -- 'Fitzes'? 

Great googly moogly...NO.  

Paul Brians (yes, I looked it up) said, essentially, that it is an issue of 'style', where I -- with my tenuous grasp of the English Language -- feel this falls under the same category as the pronunciation newk-yew-lerr for 'nuclear'; someone did it, others mimicked out of ignorance, and now it has found its way into the dictionary.  Once I can do some blogcleaning, I am totally filing this under 'Signs of the Coming Apocalypse'.  

In Other News, my throat hurts!  It is stress, but...it hurts.  :-(  Pray for me and stuff.  Well, as an agnostic, I cannot endorse praying, but...thinking a nice thought would be kind.  I need a hug.  And sleep.  

1 comment:

Scott Johnson said...

I don't have the link handy at the moment, but I love the Apostrophe Abuse Blog. :)

I heard a news reporter on CNN actually say "Nuke-u-lar" last week. Isn't it bad enough that Bush's handlers let him say it for so many years?