Tuesday, July 12, 2011

I'm cured...and overtired.

Well, one week later, and I still have fang marks, but I am off antibiotics for my Squoosh bite. Everyone thinks I should be hating him now; is there something wrong with me that I don't? To my mind, that's like getting angry at a two year-old for wetting the bed when they're upset. Sure, it's not *desirable*, but animals and tiny humans have very limited ways to express themselves. I think of how I would feel if I couldn't get the aliens who kidnapped me to understand that I said 'NO!'. The same goes for not getting why few understand that cats and dogs down at the City Pound on Death Row may *look* hateful, but they are fucking TERRIFIED. Wouldn't you be? They aren't so stupid that they can't smell Death. If any of this happened to us, we'd be sad, scared, hostile... It makes my heart hurt, because it sometimes seems like most of the world couldn't care less about the suffering of another. I cried over a Death Row cat who a rescue group was trying to find a foster home for was about six, and he had a hernia. And that gets labelled 'bad temperament'. He has lost probably the only home he has ever known, he misses his family, he is surrounded by scary animals, and he is in pain. What in the fuck kind of inhumane asshats are we?

I am upsetting myself. I need sleep. Love you, mean it.


- Posted using SomeBlogApp that I don't know how to use. o_O

1 comment:

Scott Johnson said...

I had the same questions, and endured the same expectations that I'd hate Tigger after she bit me six months ago as I tried to bathe her. If you thought someone were trying to drown you, you'd use every weapon at your disposal to get away ... it was a natural feline response, and the bite was my fault.

I've been bitten by birds a lot more often than I've been bitten by any other animal; the cat bite was more serious only because a cat's mouth isn't a clean place. Despite the week I spent in the hospital because I was too stupid to start antibiotics immediately, I am not the least bit unhappy with Tigger. She's a sweet cat, as I'm sure Squoosh is.