Sunday, February 17, 2013

What...the...hell?

I would love to build a conspiracy theory around this except for the fact that it means nothing. It's kind of like the FACT (don't tell me 'no') that the taste and appearance of Mountain Dew has been changed, only no-one but me notices. I feel like I'm trapped in a RPing thread on /x/, but I've now found something else different:

The song Mexican Radio by Wall of Voodoo, is not the same song that it used to be. No, seriously. There are subtle differences from how it really was. I don't know why they would change it, except maybe to take out the "...radio, oleo, radio..." part at the end because nobody found it funny (?). *I* found it funny (I really can't have been the only person on Earth to have noticed this; someone alive and paying attention in the '80s back me up here), but my *point* is that it has been changed...for no reason.

In Other News, I hate my inheritance cat, I may be mortally wounded, and I may have pulled a stitch. :-/ Anyone want a cat?

And no, I AM NOT HIGH ON PAIN PILLS. They really changed the f'ing song. And no, I don't know who 'they' is. Maybe this is all John Titor's fault. He has changed Mountain Dew, given my stupid cat rabies, and changed a song from the '80s to make me sound crazy.

Grr.





- Posted using Speak-n-Blog from my Fisher-Price Chatter Pull Telephone

2 comments:

Scott Johnson said...

Are we sure this is not simply the difference between the album version, the radio edit, and the single edit of the same song? They're often quite different!

This is a weird example, but on Bruce Hornsby's first album, "The Way It Is," there's a cut called "The River Runs Low," which had a beautiful, powerful bass line in the intro and bridge that absolutely got me. I loved the whole album, in fact, and wore the vinyl out! When I went out and bought the CD, I was shocked to find that they're remixed "The River Runs Low" without that bass line, and that's the version you hear now -- wimpy intro, wimpy bridge. I can't think of any reason for the change, but it's the sort of thing you're talking about.

Scott Johnson said...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexican_Radio reveals the following:

The 7" single mix differs in a few areas from the album cut:

* Ridgway's vocals are mixed differently, with a more pronounced echo effect on certain lines.

* A loud Spanish-speaking DJ voice is present on both versions, but each version's voice is different and is saying different words.

* A significantly louder snare drum part is noticeable in the song's chorus.

* Ridgway chants "radio, radio, oleo, radio" at the song's end, rather than "radio, radio, radio, radio" as he does on the album version. Because of this, the single mix is sometimes called the "oleo" mix.

* A pulsing, mangled synth noise is heard at the end of the song on the album version, but not in the 7" mix. Instead, this sound is heard at the beginning of the track, as well as during the song's instrumental break.