Tuesday, January 01, 2008

If you think you can frighten me, you don't Nomi!

Ok, I have no problem admitting it; I am hard to scare. I am not hard to *startle*. Not at all. In fact, I am amazingly *easy* to startle, and if you do it, odds are I will punch the fuck out of you before I have time to think about it. Sure, I will feel badly about it after (you will feel worse), but the fact is that even though I am the EASIEST startle on Earth, I am hard to scare.

I just find too many things funny; I can't fucking help it.

Take, for example, the Japanese horror remake that I saw advertised over this longety-long-long weekend, One Missed Call. If you have a web-enabled cell phone, direct it over to http://d1e.mobi/ (geddit? DIE-dot-mobi; how cute!) and get a free ring tone -- the Ring of Death. This is the ring tone one hears when Death phones you. When Death phones, you are too creeped out by the spooky ringer to even pick up the phone (thereby the One Missed Call). One friend (whom I saw far too many times over this Holiday weekend) said that the little ring song is 'creepy'. I beg to differ.

I am sure that the person who spent hours at their piano in sheer agony, trying to come up with just the 'right' collection of tones, will hate to hear this, but... Sorry. Have to. It is not creepy. In fact, it makes me smile. To me, it sounds far too reminiscent of the beginning of Klaus Nomi's (fantastic) rendition of Falling in Love Again. Judge for yourself:

The Ring of Death

And now, Klaus:




S'ok. I already know; I am annoying. Right, but annoying. Sorry. And sorry, Mr Composer-person. All I can say is that someone should next time maybe ask me.

Butsoanyway; giddy on up, Holyfire...

NYE was fun; I ended up getting really drunk, which is at least a change of scenery from the past few years. :-) Now I have to get back into Job-2-sub-1 mode and finish off this week. This fairly sucks, 'cos our whole building is all but deserted, with the exception of our little group. Argh.

It is back up in the air as to whether or not I will be changing work groups; Job 2-sub-2 has actually TAKEN THE HOLIDAYS OFF (freaks!), and J2-sub-1 has managed to not let me off, instead rolling one project into another. I am not sure if this bothers me or not. We shall see, I guess.

I am somewhat up in the air about quals, which is what I was *supposed* to be doing this year instead of spending a week to week and a half fucking off in Reno like I always do; about a week ago, it was suggested (by my advisor) that I take the opt-out (petitioning to have my current body of teaching, work, and publications considered in lieu of the tests themselves). This has me a bit confused, and I have not had time to mull it over a lot, much less to yap on endlessly about it here. Previously, I had been advised *not* to do this; otherwise, I could have petitioned some time ago. Grr. Basically, if I do this, then I will have spent the past year being hideously under-employed, as I was hired at a different 'level' (shall we say) than the one I could have been at...or at least been at provisionally, or whatever. I do not want to think about it too much, 'cos it makes my ass twitch. We will see what happens on this, too. Yay.

I have got to get some sleep, but...I am having a pretty good Holiday Season. I can't believe it is almost over. Meg is off at some tournament in Tunica; poor girl finally managed to get all her crap handled and leave.

Ok...so g'night.

.

No comments: