Monday, July 25, 2005

The Cat Who Would Be Dog

Hey, lookit--someone who overanalyses things like everyone says that I do:

Temporal Anomalies In Popular Time Travel Movies

Oh...wait; he says he has a family. Crapmuffin. Oh, well. ;-)

For the record, I don't think Donnie Darko was about time travel as such. But that's not meaning that what he says is in any way incorrect. And it's not like it was clearly explained in the film, so it's all opinion.

I think time travel is interesting, though I am a skeptic. In saying that, I mean that it's fine entertainment, and worthy of speculation; however I don't believe that, for example, John Titor was anything but a hoax. And no, that's not an a priori dismissal; JT specifically doesn't withstand close scrutiny, in much the same way that many of his allegedly temporally displaced compatriots don't. But it is still interesting, and I do concur that 12 Monkeys was really all that. :-)

I've thought about what I'd do if given the opportunity to time travel, and came to the conclusion that if I went back in time, I'd succumb to the temptation to correct everything in the Universe and end up correcting nothing--I'd spend the rest of my life with my grade six self in different incarnations, obsessed with trying to teach her how to diagram sentences. :-) Not that I'm a control freak, or anything.

Well, at least I'm an honest control freak.

So when they start offering time travelling junkets, I'm going to the future. I'll get a nice laser zappy gun, and take care of bidness. Everyone'll be happier (excepting the people I zap), especially my grade six self, who didn't understand the drawing lines thing and didn't care to learn it, either.

Butsoanyway.

Interesting day today, but not worth wasting pixels on. Squoosh somehow managed to dismantle his Mouse-Go-Round. How he figured it out, I don't know; he's like MacGyverkitty. One of these days, he might build his own laser zappy gun out of kitty litter, the cardboard from a toilet paper roll, and Jell-O. I'm just hoping he didn't get hurt. He seems ok. I can't wait until he's older and I don't have to be so worried for him all of the time.

Umm...yeah, I do believe that day will come. No, really. Quit laughing.

Grr.

I'm not going to buy him a Swiss Army knife. He doesn't need encouragement. He already has decided that Dog The Bounty Hunter is like, his idol or something. I personally don't care much about Dog The Bounty Hunter (plus, I once roommated with someone who could be Beth's twin and had my fill of that although I still love her from a distance), but Squoosh looks forward to watching it on Wednesdays. I found this out when I was channel-surfing by accident a few weeks ago. So now I usually am typing something, and Squoosh watches Dog and family catch bad guys. I'm not sure if Dog is a better influence on Squoosh than Sylvester Stallone and Arnold Schwarzenegger, but at least Dog has good moral values.

Well, for cat-rearing purposes.

And so Squoosh has a new role-model. Sigh. Whenever Dog is talking, Squoosh pays attention. It's kind of cute. :-) I've told Squoosh that if I ever run into Ozzy Osbourne, I'll ask him to record a theme song for Squoosh, too (I am Indestructible, the big, bad Indestructible..."). Squoosh says that Indestructible is a better bounty hunter name than Squooshable. After we watch Dog, Squooshable practises on the two Measles--he pretends they're FTAs and tries to apprehend them.

In turn, they smack the crap out of him.

If he gets too excited by all of this (Meg calls him "the overexcited little midget cat"), I will put him up for a time out. For the record, this is what usually happens. I love him, but he suffers from delusions of indestructibility. And delusions of being a future bounty hunter.

I haven't the heart to tell him he's a kitty.

No comments: