Thursday, July 14, 2005

Poking Squooshable

Today Squoosh got his first round of kitten vaccinations; a different vet saw him, and gave him a thorough going-over in consideration of his history. He passed with flying colours! And he didn't make a fuss, or anything--when this vet was feeling his torso and stuff, Squoosh just looked at him as if he were saying, "Why you pet so hard?", and then started purring when the vet petted him normally. :-) And this was after the fecal exam, which he protested a little bit. Not that I can blame him on that one. Bleah. And I don't think he even noticed the shot; he just stood quietly and took it.

Yes, we're pretty secure and convinced that everyone in the world loves us. Must be nice. :-)

He even kissed the receptionist twice. I asked her to hold him for a second so that I could put my stuff back in my purse, and she as she held him, she looked down to talk to him and he gave her two kitty kisses. Shameless flirt.

I pried him away from his new girlfriend, and let him sit on my shoulder all the way home. I know it's bad to let him loose in the car, but he screams bloody murder when I put him in a carrier. Plus, he likes riding--he doesn't pant or anything, just looks out the window--cockheadedly--the entire time.

So we had Round One of the shots, plus a preventative deworming (he doesn't have them, but this is Just In Case), plus another Revolution treatment, and we weigh 4.09 lbs (which is double what we weighed last time, thereby accomplishing having almost literally doubled our weight every time we've been weighed. We manage this because our favourite food is food.), and we just generally had a very busy day today.

So I dropped him off at home, and met Meg and an attorney friend of hers who also teaches at her school for lunch around the corner. I figured Squoosh needed food and peace for a while, and I needed a break...and food. This place has the most incredible guacamole in the universe, bar none. It's perfectly seasoned, and you're not left still tasting it seven weeks later. What more could you ask for in a guac? They were on a break of sorts, and so we didn't have more than about an hour and a half, which was okay with me, 'cos I wanted to get back home to work and make sure Squoosh was all right after the vaccinations. I know the likelihood is minimal, but...hell; I worry. So I didn't take them up on their offer to go back to campus with them and keep chatting.

Now this morning I spent at Eviljob; I am still trying to avoid everyone in case I am still contagious. I'm on Biaxin but I still have the sore throat, gummed-up ears, sniffles, and General Misery 'cos I hate being sick. And I was told today that I am intimidating. Uh-huh. Intimidating. WTF?

Actually, I was told that I'm not as intimidating when I'm sick. I was sitting at the end of a table by myself, and had told everyone to steer clear (I couldn't avoid this short meeting), and I explained that I was sick. And promptly got told that that's okay as long as I stay "down there", they like me better sick anyway 'cos I'm less intimidating. I of course took it as a silly attempt at humour and smiled, then another person chirped up with a "Yes, you sure are", or somesuch. I had to wonder what in the hell is up with that...I don't think I'm intimidating. Now, a work-friend from another department that I used to work in--she's seen as intimidating. But me? Me? Her people under her have given her the nickname "Five-O" because they see her as wanting to put the screws to everyone for no reason--which is untrue, but whatever; you can fight City Hall, but you can't fight popular stereotypes. She just has a very strong work ethic, deplores laziness, and doesn't put up with bullshit. And she's a little too invested in silliness like goals and numbers, but that's her thing. Were I her subordinates, I'd rather work for someone like that, 'cos that way I don't get stuck holding the bag all of the damn time, and doing other people's work for them like I used to always get stuck at Eviljob. Everyone puts in their fair share and does the right thing, or everyone can take a walk.

But back to this intimidating thing; I'm distressed. I don't see myself that way, and I'm going to have to get a second opinion on this. Or a third. We'll see.

My doctor's visit was uneventful. I've learnt three new bad jokes, and took an upbraiding for not making an app't with another doctor that I've been putting off. So I pouted and told him not to scold me when I'm dying, and so he told me jokes. Sigh. He's funny. I guess working in an emergency room for twenty years can do that to you. :-) He's a lefty besides having awful handwriting, so I'm sure it's easier to ask than decypher his own writing, so he asked me if I'm allergic to anything. I told him that I'm only allergic to stupid people, and he said he was too, and that he's heard about some experimental drugs from Guam that he's looking forward to getting his hands on. What a nut. I love him--he's awesome.

And needless to say, when I went to cash the prescription the pharmacist looked at it like I'd had Squooshable write it and asked me if I knew what it was for, or if he needed to call. :-) Hee. I told him it was for a loopy thing and a big squiggle, BID. :-D

Sigh.

No comments: