Wednesday, March 29, 2006

It's Wednesday...


Smptecb, originally uploaded by Ancodia.

And I am already tired of listening to people. Bwaah! I am so very eager for this semester to be over. I need sleep. And...I don't know. Not this.

Booo00000OOO000oooop!


I am in a small seminar class with someone who, no matter how many times something is explained to them, however many different ways, they respond with, 'ok, yeah, sure...but I still don't understand'.

Oh, for god's sake.

At our break (which feels as if it will never come), I have to refill my water for Mehitabel; I always stop by Wednesday evenings on my way home to feed (and water) her. I hope that she is okay; I hope that I (or someone else) can catch her. And I hope I can get all her babies--that one I am most worried about. I don't want to hear about any more cat carnage. Let's not even go there. I need to think about something else; annoyance is always good.

Sigh.

I may add more later. Whee.

Well, whee *and* Booo00000OOO000oooop!

3 comments:

Scott Johnson said...

WOW! NTSC Bars this week! Here's more than you EVER wanted to know about that test pattern.

The pure color bars are at 75% luminance and are named white, yellow, cyan, green, magenta, red, and blue. The small chips below the big bars run in reverse order and are arranged such that if you turn off the red and green guns of a monitor, you can then adjust its phase ("tint") so that these small chips are the same shade as the big bars above them and have a perfectly shaded monitor.

The white chip at the bottom is 100% (100 IRE) white. The two chips to either side of the white one are called the -I and +Q vectors, which are supposed to be exactly 90 degrees apart on a vectorscope display.

The three very faint chips to the right of those are called blacker-than-black, black, and whiter-than-black and are sometimes collectively called a PLUGE pulse. On a properly calibrated monitor, you should be able to distinguish only the rightmost chip.

An interesting bit of trivia is that these bars are almost useless for calibrating digital video (DV) equipment. Analog video sets black at a "pedestal" of 7.5 IRE, which corresponds to the black level on the pattern, and DV has black at 0 IRE.

Count on a geek.

ancodia said...

I'm impressed! Yep, ol' EG 1-1990 (tell me please that I got that correct; it's one of those things that sticks in my head and if it is wrong, I'm bound to never rid myself of it). :-) I knew I liked you for a reason!

Some countries have bars and stars; Ancodialand has bars and tone.

[giggle]!

Booo000OOO000ooop!

P.S.: So to read you correctly, one has to be really REALLY weird to be fascinated with this stuff? ;-) See? I knew I would give myself away eventually.

Scott Johnson said...

SMPTE EG-1-1990. Perfect.

I can confirm that you're really weird only by admitting that I am. Catch-22. :)