Friday, March 31, 2006

Just stuff.

Lessee…

I had to run a bunch of classes at Eviljob all day as a favour, and then I fell asleep at my desk. Yay, dignity. Then I had to run home and feed The Brood, and then run back out and meet Fluffer for something we are working on together (it actually was a good time). Then I met a friend of dinner (which was only an ‘eh’ time). Now I am EXHAUSTED.

I am playing poker online until tiredness hits me again, and then I am going to bed.

When I came back from Reno, I felt Romeo all over ‘cos he was due, and I found a lump by his butt. So I took him to Dr Vet and it turned out that it was just, basically, a really big cat butt-pimple.

I know; TMI.

Dr Vet said that it may have been from the cortisone shot he received about a month ago for his breathing, and I am just supposed to watch it (watching cat butt-pimples is high entertainment ‘round these parts), and check him every week or so to make sure it isn’t getting bigger or troubling him. So he’s fine, but now for the past two days, he has been a freaking eyebooger FACTORY out of both eyes, so I am now wondering if he has some eye infection, or something. I haven’t ever had a cat that had one, Romeo never goes outside (so I am at a loss to explain how he would have gotten one), and it doesn’t seem to be troubling him, but if this keeps up, then I guess it’s back to Dr Vet.

I am beginning to think that, when I am gone, my cats plot new disorders to come down with.

Argh.

I fed and watered Mehitabel today—Brenda set up a feeding station (I never thought to do that because I am retarded), and Mehitabel has really taken to it; I always see her there anymore. I switched from feeding them Iams kitten chow to Purina, ‘cos Brenda was really upset that I use Iams because she said that they test on animals. I just figured it was good food for them, but the Purina I started using has DHA in it also. And it is less expensive (which I actually feel guilty about, like I am trying to cut corners on Mehitabel), and Mehitibel seems to like it just fine. I had to swing back by Eviljob to give her fresh water, because when I left I was so tired that I forgot to refill my bottle of water. Sigh.

Mehitabel is still pregnant; hopefully, if I can get a little bit done, I can try to catch her this weekend with Brenda.

Doublesigh.

.

4 comments:

Scott Johnson said...

Testing animal food on animals? The NERVE! *laugh* I get the point, though. I always fed either Iams or Science Diet in the past. I worried about the magnesium in Purina, and FUS...

ancodia said...

Ack...does Purina have high magnesium? There was also something else to watch for in cat food, but I cannot remember what it is (plus I would forget to look), so I feed Rome & Weebie Science Diet because I figure they don't put bad things in their food, at least not as much as others--Dr Vet sells only Science Diet, and so does Chrissy's vet (he sells other stuff as well). Squoosh prefers Eukaneuba wet kitten cans and Natural Choice packettes of Squoosh Chow, which I think probably is quality food too, so I give that to him. But Iams is all stinky and fish-smelling, so I figured the parking lot cats would like it; that's why I started feeding it to them. Everyone has their preferred foods. The only one I did not get a snarf of approval for was Petsmart's Authority brand--no one in my household liked it, and I could tell the parking lot babies weren't really thrilled, either. Though they ate it. I felt guilty about dumping bad-tasing food off on homeless cats, so I just returned the rest of the bag and went back to normal food. Authority has no by-products I am told, so it would have been great if it had worked out. :-\

...what was the question again?

[giggle]

Smento said...

OK, now I'm feeling horribly worried about what I feed young Simon: Iams weight control/hairball control. Am I slowly killing my cat?!?!

ancodia said...

I am going to put my two cents' worth into a whole post, and if I put something horribly wrong, it's well-intended and I hope someone lets me know that it is incorrect, but the short of it is that I think that Iams is a good food. I would put my trust into them before many other brands. Weebie eats anything (but she's healthy and can), but I try to be really careful about what I give Romeo (his kidney function has been running a tad low in the past couple years) and Squoosh (he's a growing baby and needs all the DHA, fish oil, protein, and stuff he can get). So Squoosh cannot eat Romeo's food, and Romeo cannot eat Squoosh's food, period. Before Dr Vet recommended Romeo do only Science Diet's Senior Hairball and K/D, I used to give him the same thing I give Squoosh--Science Diet, Iams, Eukanuba, Max Cat, and sometimes other novelties I find, like Pet Gold (the whole fish one...blecch!). And Royal Canin...I forgot to mention them before, but I mix their dry kitten food with SD's sometimes, 'cos Squoosh really loves it (I leave standing dry food for him almost all the time). RC is as expensive as a 'premium' brand, but I think they are newer, so I don't trust them as much. I think all the premium brands are about the same, 'cos if they weren't, they'd probably be slamming each other over the differences, marketing being what it is, and all. But if I run across anything that is legitimate about the dangers of a premium brand, I will let you know!