Monday, May 15, 2006

Cake or Death?

Yii…I ate way too much.

We took Mummers to Ruth’s Chris for Mother’s Day; it isn’t even one of my favourite restaurants, but Mom likes it. Why? Who knows? Because I don’t, perhaps. I personally think their sides are average at best (and a couple of them flat-out blow goats), and as long as one starts with a decent cut of steak and is half-trying, it’s pretty hard to FUBAR steak, so they get no real points for that.

Or perhaps they’re really faboo, and I just don’t like steak houses; Meg mentioned that I was torpedoing the steak house in Reno that was supposed to be a four-star one, too. I don’t think I torpedoed it; as I recall, my comment to her was that it was just a steak house, and it wasn’t anything I would write home about, or hasten back to. Now here it is some two months later, and I cannot even remember the name of the place—proof positive that it was unremarkable. And I wouldn’t remember Ruth’s Chris’ name if it weren’t for Mom—it would be ‘that over-priced place with the stupid name that has steaks…you know…the…uhhh…’

Butsoanyway.

Meg was back today from an Omaha tournament where she came in first, so that was cool—she was in a good mood. I was tremendously irritated at her because I came in late last night (yes, it was for a good reason, and if that reason pans out, I’ll eventually get around to talking about it), and as I was scanning through for something to watch, I saw that the 1997 WSOP was on ESPN12, or whatever; that’s the one with Stu Ungar in it, the last one he won. I wasn’t sure that Meg already had that one (turns out she has all of them, but I didn’t know that), and as I am trying to one-handedly wrestle a blank tape out of the box, I am trying to phone Meg, but she won’t answer ‘cos she’s off doing things without me.

C’mon, let’s sing and really start to get pissed off: However I look, it’s clear to see--I love you more than you love me…

Then, in trying to get it taped by VCR, I somehow turned on my DVD player (mastering the new TV/VCR/DVD/DVD-recorder set up was on my To Do list over break), and I think it was taping the DVD in there; so I tried to turn the DVD off, and turned the cable off, then I turned the TV off, and all this time the damn VCR was still taping the DVD.

Damn Harry and his stupid universal remote.

So I ended up having to get up and manually turn on the TV, eject the DVD, and turn on the cable. Then I couldn’t figure out how to get back where I was from the stupid manual controls (I think ESPN needs a few more channels; what say you?), so I had to go back to the remote, and in flipping through the schedule-thingy, I see that Eddie Izzard’s Dress to Kill is on. Damn it! DAMN IT!!

Eddie, baby…marry me. Please. I’m growing tired of asking. ;-)

Butsoanyway.

So of *course* I kick the thought of watching Dress to Kill for the 900th time to the curb, because I am pretty sure I have the DVD already anyway, but to know for certain I would have to get off my tuchas and actually organise something that doesn’t have a due date (like my DVD collection) and, well…that’s not going to happen any time soon. If someone really wants it to be done, they can threaten to grade me on it.

Butsoanyway.

So I try to find ESPN6000 or whatever…only I’m going to do it and watch Dress to Kill in the little box. So I accidentally scroll past it probably three or four times, then finally notice that I’m scrolling past the same thing. Frick. And then I see that one of the shopping channels (I forget which, I think it was QVC, but then again, I tend to call all of them QVC) had a jewellery show on, so I click over to that so that I won’t get all into watching Future Mr Ancodia Candidate #1, and I click over just as they’re showing a cool pair of earrings that are coming up…in the next segment. Of course. So I am scrolling and hoping the next segment comes up before I get to ESPN9800, but they are taking TOO DAMN LONG with the jackass bracelet that no one in their right mind would buy, and so I get back to the ’97 tourney (somewhere around Ch 198), and have to switch over. Foo.

So I tape it, and yes, I know that I can tape one channel and watch others, and if I knew how to work the fricking universal remote, I’d do just that; not only is Eddie on, but there’s the jewellery, and I think a Cold Case Files or something. But whatever; I don’t know how to make it do that (yet), and I’m not going to find out now. Anyway, *I* haven’t seen the ’97 tournament, so I watch it.

And when I met Meg today, I proudly gave her the tape, and she told me that she already has it, but since I also taped my favourite poker episode ever on there also (it came on right after the 1997 tournament), then she’d watch it.

And I can freaking *guarantee* you that she’s not going to appreciate it. Hmmph.

After all I went through.

Butsoanyway.

Both Chrissy and I had forgotten that today was Mother’s Day, so we decided to call off the hunt because I had to go be with Mummers eventually, and Chrissy’s mom is dead, so she was going to the cemetery and church, and then PetsMart. I went up and fed Mehitabel anyway, of course.

And now I really have to get some sleep. Or something. We had fun today, and I love my Mom and all that. And she was hardly nutty for nine-tenths of our time together. So maybe she was trying. Or the medication kicked in. Whichever.

.

No comments: