Monday, January 22, 2007

One sick Cookie

Cookie barfed yesterday evening and then barfed again this morning, so I took her to the vet. Last night I phoned Dr Superhero, who was swamped (he runs a 24-hr emergency clinic that is an alternative to the 'real' local 24-hour pet hospital) and said to just pull food & water from her, and let her sleep unless she barfs again, in which case bring her in. Cookie wasn't eating (I had even tried to tempt her with Science Diet's a/d, and she turned her nose up at it), but she had been drinking a little, and was otherwise alert and normal, so I just let her be.

When I got to Dr Vet's this morning, they did blood work and tested her for feline pan-something (which is a virus), and the pan-whatever test came back the wrong colour the first time, and so they had to re-do it, and then it came back negative (I have to remember after class tonight to look up whatever that is, 'cos after the first false alarm one, Dr Vet totally told me he didn't want to discuss that with me unless or until it came back positive, and he knows how I am, so it must be pretty bad). Since I had to call out of work (both jobs) for this, I asked them to go ahead and x-ray her also, just to make sure that everything was ok. My rationale there was that if there *is* something wrong with her, I need to find out *today*, not tomorrow when I'm back swamped, and she's half-dead. So they did the pan-whatever blood test, pre-surgery blood work (this will be her pre-spay blood work in a week or so; we just got it out of the way now, in case it was abnormal), and x-ray, and physical. She has a little fever (it was 104 I think, but it went down after some shot), and so Dr Vet said that Cookie may have a little tummy upset, or a flu of some kind, but she's ok.

He gave her a shot of Tagamet, and of something that starts with a C to keep her from vomiting and/or being unhappy tummy-wise, and also a shot of antibiotics (just in case), and sub-cutaneous fluids. And so I got i/d (the bland diet Science Diet one) to feed her at about 8p tonight; until then, she is on no food/water. I think i/d is the feline version of a BRAT diet. :-) Her x-ray showed some gas and some poop on its way out, but not anything else of interest, and Dr Vet said the gas is normal and is probably because of the vomiting, and the poop is even more normal. :-) So she just caught a bug of some kind, it looks like.

Rhett was screaming and crying for Cookie (he *HATES* being separated from her!), so I asked Dr Vet if it was ok to put Rhett in with Cookie and he said yes, so Rhett is happy now...sigh. What a big mook he is!

I am getting ready for a class tonight that runs late, and I hate leaving Cookie, but she seems ok. I still have not decided if I like this class, or not. Whee.

Ok...laterz.

No comments: