Sunday, June 17, 2007

bare, with slippery patches...



So I went out to see my father for Father's Day.  Saturday I took off Eviljob early, had lunch with Meg, Baby Bat, and Amelia, then Meg and I went to get pedicures and figure out what in the hell we were getting for our father.  We had decided on tickets to a show in a town halfway between ours and his and started driving out there, then changed our minds three hours into the trip and stopped at a mall and picked out two documentary DVD sets instead (one about WW II, and the other about North American travel), since we were not sure that he would like the show in the first place.  I think Meg and I really both just wanted to hang out together.  I had originally planned to get a CD of Schumann-Heink for him back when I was planning this to be a Just Me Thing, but I actually think the DVDs went over better; he loves documentaries of all kinds -- particularly those on war and travel -- even more than he loves Schumann-Heink, and he already has a pretty fair reproduction of her better remaining pieces. 

We got back in about 11pm, and today drove all the way back to our father's.  We had a good visit, he loved the DVDs, and my brother phoned when we were there to wish our father a happy Father's Day, and I wished him the same, congratulated him, and promised to make time to see him (and famille) when he deigns to drop by.  My dingbat brother cannot come before July -- Bastille Day to be exact -- because he was just made a Major...like day before yesterday; I would have liked to have gone, but just could not right now.  Maybe when he makes it to Lv 4.  Regardless, he has vacation coming up, and he is heading this way.  I guess that is good. 

Butsoanyway.

So I basically lost this weekend as far as working on all the crap I have coming up at Job II, but eh.  There is just too much to do there.  Seriously.  I learnt one program in days (a horrible one that shares a name with an equally stupid form of English), only to find that it will do nothing that we need (no video...as if it were some unreasonably peculiar request to want video, or something; they have a beta version that does video, but they themselves do not recommend it for actual work at this point...sigh), and so I now have to throw myself into another one in addition to putting together a talk for Tuesday on something completely different.  Although I love what I am doing in a really broad sense, I do not like the day-to-day hustle and hassle; we are attempting to build up something that is not common in our industry, and eventually that will be very beneficial for everyone, but right now I am having to do a lot of pointless running around because what we need as far as hardware and software support is largely non-existent.  One large part of my duties is to basically so a lot of inserting Tab A into Slot B to see if we can get what we want that way and a lot of times, the answer is no. 

Sigh.

I have an early-morning meeting tomorrow, and it is another pointless one.  I think they like to sit in meetings cos they are lonely, or something.  It sure is not to accomplish anything, because we never do.  Especially these early-morning ones.  If they think I am going to be doing my post-doc here, they are Truly Batshit.  Sigh. 

g'night.

.

No comments: