Saturday, July 07, 2007

The past few days...


...have been busy.  The 4th was ok, but only 'cos I did not have to go in to work.  Yay.  Bless bankers' hours jobs and accrued time.  I ended up having dinner with Mom, and we had an ok time.

Romeo went to the vet yesterday; I have been taking him every Monday and Thursday for his bolus of water (the first time Dr Vet said that, I thought he said that he was going to give Rome ebola; I was like, '...the fuck?'), but he was looking fairly crappy and he has been in a shitty mood for a week or so.  So they drew blood, and his BUN was 60 -- almost double last month's value of (I think) 35, and CRE was 4.1.  So he is officially Not Doing Well; both of those values are in the high range, and Dr Vet said that means that Romeo has, at this stage, less than 25% kidney function going on.  And he is back down from 11 pounds to 9, despite my giving him 2mg Cyproheptadine 2x/dy; he all but refuses to eat. He also got a shot of B12 yesterday, in the hopes that might perk him up a little and stimulate his appetite, 'cos we're running out of things to make him want to eat.  Dr Vet said he could hospitalise him and get him back up fluid- and weight-wise, but that could very well be only a temporary fix, one that costs a lot of money and still has Rome not eating and losing weight when he comes home, plus he would still feel crappy from the elevated BUN/CRE.  His kidney is just not working. 

Fuck you, China, Menu Foods, and Nutro.  I hope that I am dead wrong and there is a Hell, so you can rot there.

So we decided to add a third day of fluids (Sat.).  And I think that I have decided to put Romeo to sleep now, while he is not feeling completely gagging shitty all the time.  I decided this tonight, I think.  I think that I will do this next Saturday, and ask Dr Vet tomorrow if there is something we could do to give Romeo a happy week, even if it is torpedoing his kidney; I want him to have a few days where he at least *feels* well, even if he isn't. 

I am as ok as I think anyone could be with all this. 

So I have to work tomorrow, and then take Rome to get fluids and maybe something to smoothe out the upcoming week for him -- cortisone shot so that he can have a Theo-Dur free week, and whatever else. 

And Eviljob seems to be swimming with cats; leaving yesterday evening I could have sworn that I saw a tiny baby scoot across the parking lot in the darkness; it would have had to have been about 2 or 3 months old.  I could not see where it ran, though. 

Blacktoe I think had a litter, however small it may have been; she showed up and ate last night.  The older male that I believe is Squooshdaddy (he looks and acts *just* like Squooshable, only when I trapped him and got him neutered, he was not very friendly) came over to eat as Blacktoe was snarfing (seriously; she was *ravenously* hungry), and Blacktoe hissed at Squooshdaddy.  Squooshdaddy just backed up from this tiny cat -- at least half his size -- and was like, 'tell you what; you look real hungry, Baby.  I let you eat and I just stand here and wait.  Ok, Baby?'  And he stood back and let Blacktoe eat all she wanted, and then he came and ate after she left...and then I had to leave.  I took a picture of the two of them -- Blacktoe eating, and Squooshdaddy standing back and waiting.  :-)  I will try to post it tomorrow, though it is dark; I have only seen it on my cell, and it may be a better picture than I think. 

It is things like that which leave me feeling that cats are altruistic.  Or they can be, I guess. 

.

No comments: