Friday, March 14, 2008

Happi Pi Day!

I have spent all week taping stimuli for our latest stuff; I am all
achy from all the god damned running-jumping-moving. Blecch. The help
I was supposed to have vanished, so it was just four of us at most,
but largely only two. Eh...at least it's mostly over -- once I get
everything we taped transferred over and all cut up into segments.

Yesterday, I took off mostly, and went with Meg to hear one of her old
professors (now retired) speak, and it was very interesting. He is a
former Station X employee back when it was, erm, ultra-cool to be such
(I know; I am single-handedly responsible for some of the worst word
play on Earth), and Meg was happy that several of her students turned
up, despite having no clue who Turing was (he is still Quite Dead, by
the way, and was not our guest speaker). Sigh. She orgnised getting Dr
X to her uni through some speaker-inviting body she's on (she told me,
but I've forgotten; Meg does all sorts of committee stuffs), and just
as I was kvetching to her about how the bulk of this stimuli
collection and a recent huge purchase negotiation has fallen upon me
due to people acting flaky, and as we're talking (or, rather, I am
talking and Meg is listening), people keep coming up and interrupting
to advise Meg of the video set-up, blah, blah...until after about the
third person, I realised what was going on, and lambasted Meg for
appearing to be empathetic to my situation when she'd clearly pawned
off all the work onto other faculty and grad students. I am
unfortunately having to miss the real get-together (they had to break
it up over two days cos He tires easily), but Meg went. And one of her
co-workers turned up with -- are you ready? -- a MATCHING SISTER
LAPTOP. Srsly. She'd just bought it on Meg's recommendation. I tried
to explain to Meg that she cannot go recomending that *everyone* go
get matching sister laptops, but she just shushed me cos the lecture
had started. :-) At least the third member of our two-sister matching
laptop squad is Sabra, previously mentioned as Stoned-as-Fuck, the
Israeli lady who can knock out PDEs that would make most grown men
weepy-eyed whilst fried to a crackly crunch. Sabra is cool...*but*, I
am still a little miffed over the matching sister laptop thing. Ha. I
will phone Meg and tell he she has to take me to Teavana (and buy) to
make up for it. Hmmph.

What's REALLY funny is that *I* had to tell Meg that Sabra is her best
friend...or, well, Meg is *Sabra's* best friend. Meg's BFFs in *Meg's*
eyes went to high school -- one is a vet, and the other is a teacher
also, albeit not college-level. Butsoanyway. I figured this out for
Meg (about Sabra) a few weeks ago, when I found this new soda I
thought Meg would like, so I drove out to her university and bought
one for her, only I had to wait outside her college's building,
waiting for a faculty space to open up (*this* is why matching sister
cars is important, cos I haven't a sticker for her school!), and as
I'm waiting, Sabra comes bounding up, makes me park in the fire lane
(some day, I am going to get so towed from there!) and Sabra and I sat
and talked for two hours until Meg was out of class, like Sabra
was...entertaining me, or something. But anyway, I figured it out
then, and Meg said no...then Meg realised that's why Sabra won't leave
her office ever, just stays in there talking all day. Ha. Meg's a dip,
but Sabra's cool. :-)

ok...I have to do some crap, then i hopefully can sweep up around
here; i haven't fixed my blog page in ever.

sigh.

No comments: