Wednesday, November 09, 2005

gonads, strife, Squooshtum, and suckass tests

 
I can hear the guy in the Energizer commercials:  Still going!  I'm on the "here are twelve essay questions; pick eight". 
 
I took a break today to take Squoosh to Dr Vet 'cos no yarn had emerged from either end.  I decided to err on the side of caution, and so they did radiographs of his tum and intestines.  They're kind of cute intestines.  But then, I'm prejudiced. 
 
And as I'm standing there, holding Squoosh in the hall whilst looking at the inside of Squoosh on the little monitor, Dr Vet notices before I do that Squoosh has started eating one of the files that is in a bin on the wall!  He moves fast, I tell you.  We got the paper out of the little Squooshmouth, but he had already put holes in it; it looked like someone had attacked it with a staple remover.  Sigh.
 
The short of it is that Squooshable is fine.  Dr Vet said that he saw nothing unusual, which leads him to believe that either (1) Squooshable didn't eat the yarn, but instead hid it where I wasn't able to find it (I feel that to be unlikely), or (2) Squoosh digested it at least enough that it passed out the back end in some undetectable form (maybe, but I have really been looking...but maybe), or (3) Squoosh gnawed the tail off first, then shredded it and ate it, and it passed out in tiny fibres (of the three, I'm finding this the most believable.  Squoosh just loves to shred things; it really thrills him.  Shred, eat...shred, eat.  *Totally* Squoosh.  I have no problem picturing this at all, and don't know why I didn't think of it myself.).  So he's doing fine, and he has a cute little tummy and liver.  :-) 
 
Christ...and strong lungs.  When they held him still for the x-ray, I heard this *loud* MAWWWWRRRPPPP! from in back.  WAY in back.  I'm glad he has a good enough self-esteem to insist upon his rights that way.  :-)
 
Butsoanyway.
 
So I came back home just in time to listen to NPR as I type, and I heard this cool story about an Italian cookbook that was just translated...so I bought it.  The ricotta and spinach gnocchi alone looks like it will be worth it.  Plus, I have been trying to mimic a few of Son-Friend's crazy Sicilian mother's dishes forever, and I figure that this will maybe give me some insight. 
 
No, I am not Son-Friend's only relative, but that's a long story, and I'm not even really a relative. 
 
Butsoanyway.
 
Like what I won't do for distraction at this point, eh?
 
So I ordered on Amazon via NPR so that they get some of the money, or whatever.  I believe I am probably the fastest sell they've ever had (if not the fastest check out); I was clicking before the story was over.  Well, just *look* at that gnocchi! 
 
I am not the fastest check out because when I went to check out, it had this big blinking hyperlink that said "CLICK ME TO FIND OUT WHY YOU DIDN'T GET FREE SUPER SAVER SHIPPING, 'CODIA!!!  NOW!!!  NOW!!!".
 
Okay well, it said something like that.  I think.  So I did.  It was 'cos I didn't spend enough, my order being under (I think) $30 or whatever.  *Just* under.  Now, I look at it this way:  I will spend $3.99 in shipping, but I could get *free* shipping and use that $3.99 to buy something I actually wanted from Amazon.  Right?  Right.
 
And I realised about thirty minutes and six mystery novels later that this was probably their evil plan all along. 
 
Bastards.
 
Now I have to figure out when I am going to read all of this...I don't *want* to wait for Break.  I want to go read for pleasure right fricking now, in front of a fireplace, with a huge ass mug of cocoa (or, melted marshmallows with a dash of cocoa, as Meg says I make it).  And I want a nap.  And I want...
 
Argh.  Ok, ok...I'm going to go finish now. 
 
Oh!  One last thing...the week Mummers had her heart attack, I had a test.  I just got back the grade for it (I was half-dreading this one), and I have a full-credit A!  That *really* made my day; that prof is a bit more strict with her grading, and in addition to the regular stuff, we had to critique quotes--like actual quotes, not articles or anything.  There was one from Samuel Johnson, B.F. Skinner, and I don't remember who else, but it threw me for a loop, because that is all so subjective and plus there's the issue of who in the hell am I to be commenting on any of these people and everything, and on top of everything else, it requires a modicum of creativity or original thinking or whatever to not just come up with something like "Golly, that Mr Johnson's just aces with me!", and I really wasn't in that frame of mind, so...  I'm surprised.  So that was cool. 
 
Ok--now I really *am* going to get back to work. 
 
Weeeee!  Well, it makes me happy. 

No comments: