Thursday, August 03, 2006

Quick PSA in response to hits...


what do u do if your cat has an allergic reaction to Clavamox


Well, before my cat had one, I would have vowed to myself to spell 'you' Y-O-U, at least in searches. Google doesn't care if you're cool or not. And writing 'u' is very not-cool. Double-plus uncool. Prince does that, fer chrissake, and he did it in the '80s; how much more uncool could it possibly be?

Ok; having said that:

Now, I AM NOT A VET (and when I see these searches, I begin to wonder where they are all hiding, 'cos if Dr Vet knew that I was giving advice on feline medical stuff, he would pee himself laughing; I'm thisclose to being the girl who thinks Kitty may need new batteries, my knowledge is so (un-) extensive), however for me--A LAYMAN (I also think gratuitous de-sexing is uncool)--it would depend upon what *type* of allergic reaction. I won't even pretend to know what the full spectrum of reactions could be, but here's my stab:

1) Cat threw Clavamox dose back up.

This is normal--a lot of cats barf Clavamox, I am told--it may hurt their tummies if they don't have enough food before the dose (or it may still make their tummy hurt anyway). My vet has always told me to skip the barfed dose and pick it back up at the regularly-scheduled time for the next dose, and make sure that I give food before the next dose. If the cat barfs up *that* dose, it's time to phone the vet; your Dr Vet may need to change to a different antibiotic. If the cat is critically ill and should not miss a dose, phone the vet. If the cat *continues* vomiting, phone the vet. One barfing--maybe (MAYBE!) two is ok; more than that, and I (as a layman) would want reassurance.

2) Cat is constantly vomiting, retching, having what might be a seizure; cat is extremely lethargic or unconscious; cat is breathing in any unusual way (shallowly, rapidly, or unconscious *AND* not breathing at all*); cat's face looks swollen; cat is acting disoriented, or seems to be in pain; cat will not let you touch it; a non-violent cat is acting violent; cat will not eat or drink; a normally litter-trained cat is going to the bathroom out in the open (big clue: it is trying to tell you it is very sick and needs help; don't get angry at it).

PHONE THE VET IMMEDIATELY AND TELL THEM YOU ARE ON YOUR WAY OVER. DO NOT WAIT. IF THE VET IS CLOSED, GET TO AN EMERGENCY VET CLINIC.

I am sorry; I wish that I could be of more help and if it were within my power right now, I would vow to become Miss Queen Clavamox, but I can't; I don't have the time. If anyone has any addendums or corrections, I will be more than happy to add them; this is all based on my own personal experience, and probably is not worth much. I have just been told by Dr Vet (or staff) that, as a general rule, if it is a one-time barfing, that's not a big deal, as long as the cat is still pooping, peeing, purring, and eating/drinking. Or if the cat suddenly develops a 'sensitivity' to Clavamox, it will probably not be sensitive to a different antibiotic, and needs to be switched. Hope this helps, and now I have to go write my regular post. And play trivia.



*unconscious *AND* not breathing at all (the AND is important)= GET OFF GOOGLE AND START CAT CPR. Cat AND DOG CPR. Small kitten CPR. Newborn kitten CPR. Cat CPR with pictures

**DO NOT EVER PERFORM CPR ON AN ANIMAL (or human) THAT IS CONSCIOUS/STILL BREATHING**

.

No comments: