Monday, March 05, 2007

Taking Care of Boydness

Okay, so I am a bad Blogger, I never have enough time, and blah, blah, blah.

We all knew that already.

But I am prepping to leave, and want to make amends and all that, so I am trying to catch up before I leave.

Ok, first things first; here is my post about the little birdie:

==============

Butsoanyway.

Ok; so there's this crowd around the bird, and they are talking to it, some are crouched down poking it, and as i walk over, i see one guy push the bird with his foot. So BB and i walk over and get told that the bird flew into a window on one of the upper floors (people said everything from third floor on up). BB had to go, and one of the girls out there who knows about my cat-saving attempts there asked me if i could 'do something'. Bwaah. So i told them to leave the bird alone, and went back inside to get a box as i tried to get the number of The Bird Lady in the area (whom i know of from a few years back when some huge-assed pet bird that spoke got loose from its home and flew into Mom's back yard when i was there). I finally found a box the right size, and also found that Bird Lady has de-listed her number, not that i can blame her on that one. So i get back outside, and there is a *new* group around the bird, and one girl is down on her knees, POKING the bird, saying -- and this is a direct quote -- 'come on Birdy, you can do it! FLY!'

as if the bird were going to say, 'oh, that's a splendid idea; I hadn't thought of that! Bye, now!' and take off. Sigh.

Not knowing what else to do, i tried Chrissy and she picked right up. At first we were going to meet at Dr Superhero's, and Chrissy would drive the bird over to Bird Lady's house (Chrissy knows her, but didn't have her phone number either, and i was so stressed out about the kittens' neutering that i didn't think to phone Dr Vet, or even Dr Superhero to ask if they had it). Then Chrissy phoned me back and suggested that instead of taking about an hour and a half to do all this (plus her travel time), that I could just take Boyd (I named the bird Boyd) to the Wildlife Refuge placey thing that was 1.5 – 2 hours away (which ended up being about the same time or less as all our other options).

As I was taking Boyd out to my car, Breakfast (followed by the infinitely more cautious Blacktoe) came up to ask if I was giving them a box lunch. I said no, apologised, and raced out of there.

Chrissy kept phoning me back to give me more directions, because I had no damned idea where I was going. And all this time, I actually was figuring that I was hauling around a dead Boyd, ‘cos he wasn’t making any noise.

Ok; to make a long story short…

I know. Too late.

So I got out there, and they took Boyd right away! And he was alive! Felt him (or her?) all up, and declared Boyd unbroken. But Boyd the Bird was still stunned, and they said Boyd might have a cracked breastbone, and Boyd was definitely underweight. So they kept Boyd and were going to let Boyd just hang out in a dark cage, and they were going to feed and de-worm Boyd. They said that, unless Boyd has something wrong that was making him (her??) fly stupidly, Boyd should be released in a few weeks, and they will release Boyd somewhere where he (or she) will be happier and will be able to find more food, with a lot less buildings around.

So basically, Boyd is taking a vacation at a country club right now.

=============

Okay; there is other stuff (LOTS of other stuff), but it will have to wait until tomorrow.

.

No comments: