Monday, May 23, 2005

The Cricket Conundrum

AHA!

I need not worry over KGB spy crickets. Whew!

Well, I mean...they might not *be* bugs, but they do *look* like bugs, so it would be quite disgusting if they invaded. Or they might be bugs; what in the hell do I know about crickets? Or bugs? If they were bugs, that would certainly explain the 'buggy' look, now wouldn't it? On the other hand, lobsters look like bugs but are (besides tasty) crustaceans. At least I think they are. Or arthropods, or something. I'm not totally certain which one means 'lobsters'. This whole kingdom/phylum/class/year/make/model thing is not my forte.

Well, I had to let my father and Dorkface shine in *something* that I didn't. I picked Biology and History. :-) I could look it up, but that would involve research and researching things is not how I'm going to spend my Me Time. Plus I'm lazy. Well, right now. It actually takes less effort to type all of this than to just go look it up. Pathetic, isn't it?

Oh, screw it... I just looked it up. A cricket, per Merriam-Webster, is a "leaping orthopteran" insect, noted for its chirping noise. I think an insect and a bug are the same thing, so yes: crickets are bugs. I'm not going to look up 'bug'. I'm 99 44/100 % certain that an insect is a bug, and vice versa. Iff. That sort of thing.

Ok, now for Public Radio:

That chirping is a satellite feed index that makes it so that the cutting and pasting of satellite-fed program materials can be done without human intervention. This answer is courtesy of a kind soul on Wikipedia who answered my question. Still no reply from my local PR station to my query by email; I tried them first, then Wikipedia. :-)

Well, I had my email open. I'm sure my email's been printed out and framed by now; I'm probably called "the weirdo cricket lady". Sigh.

But at least I have an answer.

Posting on Wikipedia was my first break, then I broke for lunch with Meg and a friend/coworker of hers. First we were going to go to this one Mexican place in a strip mall just up the street, but I arrived first. Closed. Sigh. I called Meg and let her & friend know. Ok--so they then send me just down the way to an Italian place to snag a table and wait. I get there, and...sigh...closed. I call Meg & friend to let them know they're the Kiss of Death to restaurants. So then we pick a sub shop. I *know* they're open, 'cos I can see them across the street from the Italian place. Or ex-place. So I just leave my car and walk over. Meg & friend will be like, ten mins or so at least, plus walking over has the benefit of letting me wander into a dollar store in the strip mall that houses the sub shop. I used to go into them a lot; now, not so much. Back when I first found them, they were a godsend--but that's a long story that points out how stupid I am, so I'll not go into it today. But so I went. I ended up not buying anything, but they had a local "easy listening" station on, and I did hear a Bee Gees song--More Than A Woman--that I'd not heard in a while. And I was actually really enjoying it, and kind of swinging my head in time (I *can't* be the only one who does this!), and then I noticed this woman looking at me as if I were acting crazy!

Oh, geez. Whatever, lady. If I weren't in an introverted cycle right now, I'd have broken out into a Snoopy Happy Dance just for your benefit.

So after the song was over (it was the best part of the dollar store, in truth), I left and went on to meet Meg & friend, and we kvetched over lunch. Then, on my way home, I stopped and bought a Bee Gees cd. Yay! It has like, all of their hits, or something. But my point is, in listening to the #2 cd (that has the stuff I am somewhat familiar with), I found this *other* song that I haven't heard in practically ever--Love You Inside Out. What's funny is that when I put it in, I punched that up first, 'cos it sounded posilutely gory. :-D But it's actually a really good song! It might be my favourite Bee Gees song, I think. But I haven't listened to the whole thing--both cds--yet, so I don't know. And I might not get around to listening to the whole thing any time soon, so no breath-holding.

3 comments:

Smento said...

A) That explanation for the cricket noise is fine and all, but they really should find a way to get rid of it. It goes all over me.

B) You're certainly not the only person to respond to the soothing melodies one hears in stores. I've been known to tap toes, sing even, when a particularly stirring song comes on. One time, as I was paying for a pack of cigarettes in a liquor store, "All By Myself" came on. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry given the context.

ancodia said...

A) I completely agree. Whenever I hear it, I always think "eew...BUGS!". Icky little scratching legs and stuff. Yecch. But the sad thing is, the truth is a little boring. I think I'll stick with the spy crickets explanation for the time being, Occam's Razor be damned.

B) :-) Ok--that's funny! I usually don't notice and just do it (I think--it's something you do kind of subconsciously, really), but the look this woman was giving me...you'd have thought that I was standing in the middle of the store naked while picking my nose and flicking the boogers, or something. The Old Me would have put on a show for the stuffy lady. Now I wish I had. Sigh. :-)

B.5) You smoke also? Yay, us smokers! :-) Well...ok--perhaps that was a tad too enthusiastic. I must quit and soon, before I once again become deeply entrenched in the habit (assuming I'm not already, which I probably am). Grr. But I'm in a particularly smoker-inhospitable state, so doing anything is a pain, 'cos I have to go outside or in certain areas to smoke. It's actually quite a shame, 'cos I truly *enjoy* smoking. If I ran the world, it'd be *good* for you. Sigh.

Smento said...

I generally only smoke on my balcony or at a bar (Texas lets us do that, thank God). One of my favorite times to smoke, and I know this is bad, is right after I've gone for a long walk or jog. I like to think of it as keeping my heart rate up a bit longer. Yes, the smoking is terribly bad for us, but it IS fun.