Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Musique Non Stop

I'm going to talk about that instead of how annoying Sophie was today.

Which, for the record, is quite extremely. We're talking fingernails-on-the-blackboard annoying. We're talking race home and take a hammer to your piggy bank and see if you have enough to hire a mercenary yet annoying.

But back to music. :-)

I have a huge list of songs that I think were performed by the wrong person. Or songs that I'd like to hear someone else's interpretation of, and I have added another to that list: Love You Inside Out, besides a re-naming, should be re-done by Al Jarreau. I would love to hear his version. And maybe Jimmy Somerville, too. But Jarreau for sure. In case that seems like a bad match, let me throw out a few others that seem obvious to me: Crush With Eyeliner should be done by Iggy Pop. Laugh if you must, but I think it would kick ass. And there was another song that I thought was much better-suited to Bowie, but I can't remember it at the moment. I want Marilyn Manson to do covers of everything The Specimen ever did; some may not be any good, but all of them would be better suited than Golden Years (until you listen to it about a thousand times and realise that in many respects, it's better than the original; true, the original is better in other respects, but whatever). I wanted someone to do a cover of Rundgren's Blue Orpheus, but I can't remember who that was. It's somehow related in this chain-o-segues, but I forget how. This is all connected up in my head like a Kevin Bacon game, which is how I usually organise things, and why I can never think of anything when I need it. Except...


Damn, Sophie was annoying.


Ok...back to music: Par for me, I can remember only a little of this huge list I've been compiling for a few years; usually I'll get started thinking about it when I hear a song that's on my list. What made me think about it tonight was that I've added a new one, but that doesn't exactly prime the pump to chain out the rest. Grr.

I need a new filing system in my brain. And possibly an Administrative Assistant. As soon as we can have little AI brain implants, I'm signing up for one; mine will probably go nutso and lock me in my house and try to kill me... Oh. Wait. That wasn't me.

giggle

In truth, with my luck, I'll probably end up with some defective-ass recycled chatterbot like Catty, and I'll walk around for weeks happy, thinking that my life is so 21st century and improved, when in fact it's just that in comparison to my AI, I look organised and together. Hmmph.

Butsoanyway.

I forgot where I was going with that, but whatever. :-D My train of thought derailed.

Yes, I know--thoroughly original.

Anyway, I stopped for fuel on the way home. I wish I could say that I don't do that a lot, but I can't. Yes, the car I bought is not conservative on the fuel usage. Ok, so global warming and everything else is my fault. Whatever. Go find a dead tree and plant a sign near it that says, "Ancodia did it!" I don't care.

So I'm getting fuel, and the place I usually stop is one of the new-style gas stations--the ones that have TVs, music, a bakery and cafe, small lake, boat rental...

Ok, I'm exaggerating about the boat rental.

But they're playing Orinoco Flow (loudly) as I'm getting gas. And it occurs to me that, while this is and always has been pretty much one of (if not the) the ultimate song to get really high and space out to...

Not that I do drugs, or have ever done drugs. Of course not. Don't be ridiculous. I've just...heard people who have...and that's what they say. Yeah. Rilly. Swear.

...I don't actually understand what in the hell she's saying. So I get home and steal some Me Time before getting back to work, and I finally get around to looking up the lyrics.

Who in the hell is Rob Dickens? And Ross?? 'scuzati, Mistress of the Obscure Reference--you've positively lost me.

So I have to do some hunting. Sadly, it takes about a minute and isn't even a good story. How disappointing. Inside jokes are ok, but geez...make them good ones, fer chrissake. Or make the hunt harder. Something. Anything.

And I've just remembered: A Girl Like You by Edwyn Collins I think might sound better or at least more interesting if done by Bowie.

Ok; time to go kiss Squoosh g'night and head to bed.

One For The Road

An example of what my future blue light special AI implant and I discuss when I'm bored:



[You] bwaah!
[Cat] We're all with you on this.




And thank god for that. Don't know what I'd do without you, Catty.





Bwaah!

No comments: