Monday, May 23, 2005

Inadvertently Funny

Some things are hilarious without meaning to be; this has to be one of the funniest paragraphs I've ever read (from The Composers Datebook, and yes, I believe an apostrophe is missing):

Today, a tip of the hat to the persistence of one Ms. Elisa Hall, who lived in Boston from 1853-1924.

Ms. Hall was at the heart of that city's musical life for many years. She was a Francophile, and championed the best and the latest in French music. Sadly, Elisa Hall suffered from a hearing ailment, which would eventually result in complete deafness.


Ok--that's almost as funny as the "handicapped people are our customers" line (No! Do tell!) I encountered in one of Eviljob's disability sensitivity training a few years ago; that one had me literally on the floor. Okay, so I'm not so sensitive, maybe.

I'm behind in mail still, and am trying to catch up on Composers Datebook a bit. That's from the show on the 17th.

Poor Ms Hall--she's so bleeding deaf she likes frog music!

Having a smidgeon of Frog in the woodpile, I can say that with impunity. ;-) In my mind, I picture her also jamming out to say, the washing machine, construction sites, and the like. She's just being remembered kindly because of her generosity towards the Arts.

Sigh. French music: recommended by nine out of ten deaf people.

giggle.

No comments: