Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Hey! Squoosh can go as O'Connor!

Lord, I suck.  

:-)  sometimes well, sometimes not-so-well; this is one of the not-so-well times.  

I have this ongoing issue:  I can never remember the name of the damn store where I usually shop for my cats.  It’s Pet Something.  I had thought for sure it was PetsMart, but then I looked at their Halloween costumes on their website, and now I am not so certain.  So I went over to PetCo’s site and looked at *their* Halloween costumes; some look more familiar, plus PetCo is having a “Howl-O-Ween” costume contest thingy, and I am pretty sure I saw a flyer for that the last time I was in picking up Measletreats and Squoosh Chow.  Looking at their website (above), I don’t remember seeing the vampire costume in the store, though.  However, after looking at it, if I can make it fit on a baby cat, that’s what the well-dressed Squoosh will be trying to squirm out of come Halloween.  It would match his new, shiny adult fangs!  :-)  Previously I was deciding amongst a witch hat, devil horns, an elephant, and that was mostly it.  

Oh, but I’m not done; There’s also another one that is PetBiz (?) and/or PetSupermarket, which I think is near me and I used to call “PetStore” ‘cos I couldn’t remember the correct name. But they don’t have online shopping, and the more I think about it, I think I don’t like them and don’t go there.   So it is probably not them.  I think.  There is a real “PetStore” near here, but it’s not a franchise location (I think it is just a single store), and I don’t usually go there ‘cos they’re overpriced and don’t have a really good selection of cat stuff, though they have a lot of fish and snake crap.  However, that was the place where I bought Squoosh his first Squoosh Chow (and he snarfed it up in the car in the parking lot), ‘cos it was on the way to the mall (I had to take Son-Friend to the mall).  The name of it might not even be PetStore, but that’s what the sign says over the store on the face of the strip mall, and that’s what everyone calls it.  I used to work near there, and that’s how I wandered in there in the first place.  Plus there are a few smaller chains, not that I remember what in the hell their names are.  Cross them off the list.

Butsoanyway.

There’s also a PetLand in the same shopping plaza that I usually pass by when I go to PetWhateverthehell, but I am pretty certain that I’m *not* really going to Petland and snubbing PetWhateverthehell; I think it is the other way around.  I’m pretty sure PetLand doesn’t have crap.  

So, via the wonders of the Internet, I’m of the firm belief that Squoosh will be getting his costume from PetsMart or PetCo.  

And the temptation to just say I’m obfuscating is there, but honesty forces me to admit that I’m just plain old stupid.

In other news, I’m home early and don’t feel like working on anything.  What a thurprise! Over the past few months, I’ve changed my style…I now spend most of the time slowly working, wishing I weren’t.  I think I’m just burnt out.

And I don’t understand what all of the furor is over Bush’s nomination of Miers.  On the way home today, I almost called into a talk show to ask them what their major malfunction is.  Ok, ok…it was Limbaugh.  What does it matter *who* is appointed, as long as they are intelligent, learned people who can dispassionately evaluate issues brought before them in order to better and defend our country’s laws?  If that is the Supreme Court we want, then whomever is appointed can believe in anything that they want personally—it won’t affect their rulings, assuming they are worthy of being there.  This seems to me to be symptomatic of the deintellectualisation of America; the focus, somehow, has become misidentified.  Our goal should not be to stack the deck of the Supreme Court with people that agree with us (whatever position that may be), but to best construct and deliver our arguments (and ideally our actions and beliefs, too) so that we are Right and operating in the best interests of our country.  And in being Right and operating in the best interests of our country, we will obtain a favourable ruling from the Supreme Court.  In my mind, it works *that* way.  Or is supposed to.  It should not matter who sits on the Supreme Court, assuming they have merited the appointment.  Right is Right, and Wrong is Wrong, and the grey areas get hammered out to the same ends regardless of who is doing the hammering.  But I am left with the impression that most people feel that Right or Wrong is something that is in some way relative to what the Supreme Court decides—if the SC says abortion is okay, then either abortion is okay, or (and here’s the logical leap I’m not following) we need to get different Justices; ones that agree with us and know Right from Wrong.

WTF?  

I have a better idea; how about Whomever Feels That Way (whatever way that is) going home, putting some study-hours in, and actually constructing a logically watertight, persuasive argument, one that is built upon actual precedents and scientific evidence?  And, heh-heh, if Whomever Feels That Way *can’t* construct such an argument, they might want to take that as a hint that, well, they may be WRONG.  Go figure.

But, were that to be done (on both sides), the prejudices these Justices allegedly have would show themselves easily (assuming they are there, which I personally don’t, but whatever…).  Should these alleged prejudices *not* be there, the Justices would then simply evaluate the presented arguments for and against, and give their decision.  And wouldn’t that be better?  Isn’t *that* the world we want to live in?  

Apparently not.  Having things be truly Just, Fair, and Equitable seems to be too much work; it looks like Americans would rather that we just stacked the deck.  Screw the fact that the only way in which there is True Equality, Freedom, and the triumph of Right over All That Other Crap is when an impartial SC is listening to well-reasoned arguments brought before them.  When that happens, ANYONE has the chance to be right—it’s just up to *them* to prove it.  Not the SC, not god, not mom, not their third grade teacher.  So who cares who is nominated?  They are either SC material (intelligent, dispassionate, given towards reflection, patriotic, impartial, fair, and just) or they are not; that’s the only decision.  So I don’t give a damn that Miers gave money to Texans For Life—that’s a non-issue—what I want to know is whether or not she is wise enough to sit on the SC.  That’s all that matters.  

‘nough said.

No comments: