Monday, October 24, 2005

Snow and Squooshballs

Well, another heaping helping of wind and rain.

Mom’s fine; she is either sleeping or moping in her room. Meg broke my large TV (how I don’t know, but it will not turn on now), so she is currently experiencing withdrawal because I have refused to move another TV in there. She can come into the kitchen to watch TV; the one in my family room is currently occupied by *me*. Hmmph.

And I have I guess catnapped the neighbour’s cat. Not Molly, the humongous kitty next door, but Harry, the cat from a block or so over who decided that he likes me better than his actual family, for whatever reason. Harry wears a blue jingle bell collar, and I actually in truth do not know what his real name is, cos his collar only has bells, no name. A while back, when he first adopted me, Mom came over and they made friends and she named him Harry. He’s an older cat, but he’s learnt that his name (at least at my house) is Harry; he answers to it quite faithfully. He’s a smart cat. I brought Harry in so that he wouldn’t drown. Romeo is none too happy about this. Any of it. He’s a cranky seal-point Siamese who knows that Change Is Bad. Any change. Ever. He even gets upset when I change his litter box, and has to go into it and poop right away, so that it is back to normal as quickly as possible, and he *still* hasn’t acclimated to that interloper, Squooshable. Sigh.

I love you Measle Beast, you grumpy old man.

It is supposed to get very cold soon, Meg says. I forget to keep up with the weather and all, but I am excited.

Please, please, please snow. Please. I don’t beg for much, in fact I beg for nothing, ever…*please* let it snow! Some say it is a long shot, but I have faith. So much faith in fact, that I am going to go sit outside on my front lawn in my sled.

Please.

Speaking of Squooshable, he will be neutered tomorrow. I originally set this appointment before the stuff with Mom, but I am afraid that if I do not keep it, I will not do it. I tried to explain it to Squooshable when I made the appointment, but I don’t think he understands. I tried to talk to him as he was playing, which he does a lot. Squooshable has discovered a cool new game; if you take something (dryer lint or fabric softener sheets work really well) and carry it into the kitchen, you can set it down in front of the refrigerator, and when the fan comes on it will blow the lint around and you can kill it. I was finding all kinds of crap around my refrigerator and wondering how it got there before I figured out what was going on.

So I tried to talk to him as he was on top of a big piece of lint, smacking a corner down when the fan blew it.

“Squooshable,” I said, “we need to talk.”
“Indestructible,” He corrected me, never looking up from the lint. I let that pass unnoticed.
“Squooshable, you may have noticed some…changes recently.”
“I don’t like Iams anymore.”
“Besides that.”
“You hide the dryer lint in empty boxes of laundry detergent, and it’s hard to get at now.”
“Besides that, Squooshable. I’m talking about changes that have happened *to* you. For example, you now have tiny little Squooshballs.”
“What?”
“Back there—tiny little Squooshballs.”
“Indestructiballs.”
“What?”
“They’re my Indestructiballs.”
Ummm…yeah. Ok; to that point…”
“They were just there one morning. I like them; they’re ginormous.”
“Ginormous? They’re tiny little Squooshballs.”
“Noooo. They’re big and huge Indestructiballs.”
“Right. Well Squooshable, the Indestructiballs are going to have to go.” Squoosh stopped playing and considered this for a moment.
“No.”
“Squooshable, yes. It’s that time.”
“Indestructible. And no. I like my Indestructiballs. They’re staying.”
“You said that about your extra fangs also, Squoosh.”
“I don’t remember that.”
“You had eight, Dr Vet said you would lose four of them, and you said no.”
“No.”
“Squoosh, don’t tell me no—I was there!”
“No. I said that I was only going to keep the good, big fangs, and that’s what happened.”
“Okay, rewrite history all you want, Squoosh. I’m just trying to warn you that we have to snip the little Squooshballs.” I got up to leave.
“Indestructiballs,” Squoosh said, turning back to his lint-killing.
“Right, Squooshable,” I said as I left the room.
“Indestructible,” he corrected as I turned the corner.

No comments: