Monday, April 17, 2006

In keeping with Channel ‘Codia's policy of bringing you the latest in blood and guts in living colour, we bring you another first…

Please leave the room if this will…if this will offend you…

;-)

I just added a twisted history thingy to my left-hand side thingy. I needed a minor project-thingy so that the break-thingy I am taking wasn’t totally spent on me-thingys.

:-D

I have to get back on task in a moment, but I noticed something—on this date in 1986, Andrew Hermann plathed the bejeezus out of himself by drinking cyanide whilst on (local campus) television. Okay, so unusual plathings are an interest of mine; it’s just ‘cos I am morbid as hell sometimes. As is television (probably also because I am morbid as hell sometimes), even though I never get to watch it, ‘cos I am always freaking working anymore. Pfft. But, plathing + television = really getting my attention. I went to summer camp several years in a row with a girl whose father had someone plath himself on the radio, and that was interesting, but…not *exactly* the same (I heard the story of what happened a few times). I guess each medium has its own way of showcasing some things, and in this case television seems to be more…tailored to the intent. Or whatever.

Butsoanyway.

I googled for three-tenths of a second, and found two stories…no one seems to have said exactly why he did it, what happened, or... Hmmph. I may look more later.

Who was the first televised suicide? No, not Howard Beale; he is a fictional character. Christine Chubbuck, to the best of my knowledge. 1974. Dwyer was in 1987. Everyone always says Dwyer. I think it’s sexism; Chubbuck’s was *way* more dramatic, in-your-face, and over-the-top than Dwyer’s. One would think that would make it more memorable, but no. Well, in public opinion, I mean; I’ve been fairly captivated by it for years. Where is Christine’s Lifetime Movie of the Week? I mean *really*…::tap, tap::…’is this thing on?’

Geez. What a tough crowd. What’s a newscaster got to do to get some fame, hmm?

Ok…back to work-thingys.
.

No comments: