Sunday, April 24, 2005

Plastic surgery solutions

Holy crap! One awesome woman I work with came in today to show off her new bod, purchased in...Peru. Go figure. This whole gastric bypass thing has really taken off at Eviljob in the past few years, and now all the ones who did it a year or so ago are going to get their bodylifts.

Ok, for the record, I'm for the most part non-supporting of the whole bypass surgery. Even if I were posilutely the most immensent obeast in the universe, I still don't think I'd support it. By way of not sounding like a Nazi, let me point out that, (1) the surgery doesn't do anything one couldn't do on one's own; it doesn't speed up the metabolism, or rev up the fatburning, it just makes you eat less. You can do that yourself, and you need to learn to if you're going to stay thin. (2) You have to become even more obsessed by food, because you run the risk of some serious malnutrition if you don't adhere to your new "dosing schedule" of meals and vitamins. (3) The surgery prevents you--unless you want to potentially "eat yourself out of your bypass"--from leading a normal life that allows you to splurge and have some lobster-and-cheesecake feast, even if you really want to. (4) It's dangerous. (5) Some people look cuter mildly porky. No, really; they do. Not *everyone*, but some people. One other girl I work with had the surgery, and she looks positively horrid now. She had a baby-face, and a was kind of baby-fat looking (yeah...she was only like sixty or so punds overweight, and you have to be one hundred, so she found some QUACK that told her he'd perform the surgery on her if she could gain a little weight. She did, and he did. Gross.), and before her surgery, I thought she was frankly beautiful; that look just works for some people. Now she just looks yucky; her figure's not *bad*, but she just looked (don't think me weird) sexier in general *before*, at lest probably to some people who are into the zoftig-thing. Definitely not sexy now. It's too bad she didn't try therapy first; she apparently needed it, 'cos rumour is she used to throw up in the bathroom before that nutbag Dr told her to gain weight. I never saw it, but considering her putting on like, thirty pounds to have that nutty surgery, it's believeable.

Butsoanyway.

I keep my feelings on the matter completely to myself. That's my take on it, no one else's. Everyone else can do whatever in the hell they wish. And, it's not true for *everyone*; there may be a few who benefit from the surgery--just not these thousands of people that are having it. So I'm not making a global statement, but just saying that I don't think it's the best of all possible worlds decision if it's avoidable.

Butsoanyway.

This lady had the surgery about a year and a half ago, and went from a size 22 to a size 10. That's a big-ass leap. And in such a short period of time, well, ok--she was a little flabby. So the time had come to get her bodylift, and she did it in Peru. Because they're cheaper, and she says they do a better job in a lot of respects.

Well, she looks amazing! She's in her fifties, and I swear--she looks twenty years younger! She was only down there for two weeks, and then she had taken another week off, and officially comes back tomorrow. I'm floored. When I'd heard what she'd done, I was afraid for her...I mean, you think of third-world hospitals, and all...but she says no. And, all this work was done for--catch this--under $5,000, not including the plane ticket. Here in America, it would be over 30K, per her.

Go figure.

Maybe I should take my Measle to Peru...

Kidding.

No comments: