Friday, April 15, 2005

Why Ancodia Talks Funny

Well, I spent my self-imposed break from typing by having my Linguistic Profile...err...profiled.

Yeah, that.

I believe that I might have just stumbled onto the reason why people where I currently live look at me peculiarly when I speak. Well, sometimes.

No, it's not because I *am* peculiar! :-P

It's because I need to go home. Has nothing to do with wanting to, or being homesick a lot, or not getting along with the general "lifestyle flow" here, or wondering what in the hell made me ever leave in the first place because I'm so miserable sometimes.

Nope; it's linguistic.

At last I have an answer.



Your Linguistic Profile:



50% Yankee

20% Upper Midwestern

15% General American English

10% Midwestern

5% Dixie


3 comments:

Smento said...

Whoa! You've got a whole lotta Yankee going on there, Ancodia. Maybe you should come on down to Texas. We'll get you talkin' right proper American English in no time.

ancodia said...

LOL! Well, I have *some* Dixie. I think it somes from being a transplant. But where's the West Coast representation in the list? Now *that* I could not bear...

I can see the question now:

How many different meanings can the word, "Dude" have, assuming varied inflection?

1) 0. It's the equivalent of "ummm" and "uhhh", and probably "duuurrr", also. (Northeast)

2) 1. Doesn't it mean, well, "Dude?" (Midwest, South)

3) 26. It is an expression of diversity, and the Federal government should stay the hell out of it. (Pacific Northwest)

4) Infinitely many; how many inflections you got, Dude? (West Coast)

Smento said...

You mentioned living near Canada. I'm so jealous. I do so love the accent. Sigh.