Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Typing, typing, typing...

What I sing to the tune of "Rawhide" as I peck away!

Yay; I'm finished typing. For the moment. I just typed up my very-ownest first grant proposal. That is definitely something that one puts off until the last possible second because it looks so positively horrid and daunting to one's self-esteem and knowledgebase, but after it's done, one wonders why it was put off for so long.

Well, if that one is Ancodia. :-)

It's not a proposal for me only; it's for me and Someone Over Me. I haven't decided what I'm naming him for purposes of obfuscation (I just love that word!) yet, but he's "Good People", as one woman I work with at Eviljob would say. :-) She just kills me with some of the things that come out of her mouth; the look on my face the first time she ever told me I looked as if I'd been "rode hard and put up wet" a few years ago was enough to send a whole room into gales of giggles.

Well, what in the hell do I know about this horse riding-metaphor vernacular stuff? :-) It sounded downright dirty.

And as always, I'm glad to entertain. :-\ I might as well be, 'cos I end up doing it so much.

So I have to have someone over me, 'cos I've never had a grant in my name only (yet!) and in my field this whole grant thing works kind of like credit does in the real world when you're like, eighteen; for big-ticket items, the first few you get, you'll probably have to have a cosigner who has real, actual, established credit. After you've paid a few of those well for a few years, you can take something out on your own; handle that well, and you can get something bigger, and so on and so on. That's pretty much how grants and such work in my field. Any other vocations or fields of study I don't know a damn thing about. So I have to have a co- or be a sub. But this Someone isn't a pooty-head. So that will be nice. :-) And I'm low-man as per usual, so I get to write everything up. I'm ok with that. He's currently doing something that is similar to being a HoD or Dean, and really actually can't be bothered (plus, I'd sub for him any day! Sigh...if there is a Hell, I'm going to it). Someday I'll be in the same position, plus this is my mini break for freedom. Sort of. I'm demonstrating that I don't need certain people who have proven themselves to be less-than-satisfactory in the past, demonstrating that I can forage for nuts and berries in the wilderness on my own, academically and employment-wise. Which is more than others ahead of me in a year-sense can claim (e.g., Fluffer, Sophie, and others). So I'm proud of myself. And indebted to this gentleman; I think he knows that the Denmark from whence I came has a slightly putrid odour, though I'd say nothing about it. No, really; I wouldn't. But it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out; some parts are pretty obvious, and the only manifestations which I can really discuss are the RCMP examples, and my Octopus. Anything else would (1) be identifiable; (2) be not immediately Ancodia-related, and therefore immature to mention; (3) just take too god damned long to explain, and ultimately would need to be waded through only as anecdotal proof that I'm right, and they're fucked up. Just take my word for it--they're weird. That whole Octopus Escapade was *not* just me misreading a situation and not doing my part.

Speaking of my Octopus, I've received its papers. Just Friday. So I am the proud possessor of a Wholly Papered Octopus. :-) And eventually, I'll get around to buying a frame for it. Then later on, I'll get around to taking it out of the tube and putting it into the frame. And then down the line, I'll eventually hang it up. That's my long-range goal. :-) And then I shan't look like half the shiftless scoundrel that I currently seem. Right? Right! Validation is everything. So saith...well...everyone who has an Octopus of some sort dangling on their walls. Woof.

Son-friend says the bruvver-of-Squoosh is doing fine. He finally broke down and started eating when son-friend put tuna in with him. And son-friend's g-friend suggested putting a stuffed animal in with him, and he curled up with it and went to sleep.

Ok, that breaks my heart.

I guess he misses his littermates. I'll collect the others too, if I can. And the Momcat. I just have to find the time. I wanted to go out today, but I couldn't spare the time. If I let this eat me up, I'm going to become one of those crazy, bedraggled, wild-haired cat-ladies. It's at times like this that I really have to focus to keep from letting Everyday Life distract me because, if I didn't focus, all I'd think about would be those kittens.

At least I got one of them.

:-\

No comments: