Thursday, December 01, 2005

Egg-stra! Egg-stra! Read all about it!

Here it is.  I think the sauce needs a little something to be closer to the recipe that I grew up with, but I am not sure what, and haven’t had the time to play with it to find out ‘cos I have been asking Meg for this for about three years.  If I figure it out, I’ll add it later.  But here is what she has.  Getting this recipe actually means a lot to me; I feel as if I have actually accomplished something.  Woo-hoo.  I am *this* much closer to my dream of constructing a makeshift book of family recipes!  You know—the one I would have my grubby paws on, if both my grandmothers weren’t dead and Mummers hadn’t lost all that she had from them over the years (have I mentioned that cooking is not a strong suit of hers?).  And I know that I could have put my mind to it and re-created it before now probably, but I don’t have the time to do that…it’s far easier to sit around for years wishing.  :-)   I know Meg got it from somewhere, because she’s put the real name next to it (translated), and I know that Meg doesn’t (or didn’t) know the real name, and I know Meg doesn’t translate.  So in short, I know she got it from someone (or somewhere), but I don’t know who, so we shall call it…

Meg’s Thefted Stuffed Egg Recipe That Is Good Enough

3 tablespoons (45 ml) butter or margarine
1 medium onion, finely chopped
3 Tbs (45 ml) bread crumbs
8 – 12 hard boiled eggs, peeled
2 Tbs (30) ml finely chopped fresh dill
1 Tbs (15 ml) finely chopped parsley
2 Tbs (30 ml) mayonnaise
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

For the sauce:

2/3 cup (180 ml) mayonnaise
1/3 cup (80 ml) sour cream
1 Tbs (15 ml) finely chopped fresh dill
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

Heat 1 tablespoon of the butter in a skillet over moderate heat and sauté the onion until golden but not brown, about 5 minutes. In a separate skillet over moderate heat, melt the remaining butter and add the bread crumbs. Sauté until golden, about 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Cut the eggs in half lengthwise and scoop out the yolks. Mash the yolks with a fork and add the onion, bread crumbs, dill, parsley, mayonnaise, salt and pepper. Fill the egg whites with the yolk mixture using a piping bag or spoon. Combine the ingredients for the sauce and mix well. Serve the eggs chilled or at room temperature, with the sauce served on the side. Serves 4 to 6.

What a pain in the ass to retype.  I need a scanner.

:-)  

1 comment:

Smento said...

These sound damned delightful.