Friday, December 23, 2005

It’s tricky to park around, to park around the mall at Christmas is tricky. How is it D? It’s tricky…


:-)

Cutting straight to the chase, Mr Cat is still at the vet’s.  He is doing just fine, but the vet wants to keep an eye on him, and he is on antibiotics to make sure he hasn’t given himself an infection from trying to fix the vet’s suturing handiwork.  

Just like Squoosh—hypercritical, and certain you are doing it wrong.  :-)  Probably he is even claiming to have read a book about it.  

And I still do not have a cat trap.  Day the Seconde.  Pfft.

So I went shopping.  Parking was *horrible*!  Oh, the humanity!

Nurse Betty received my shipped present today.  Whew.  And I have virtually all of my minor presents taken care of and mostly dispensed.  Whew.  Now I just have the larger ones left, sort of.  It would be boring to list them out.  But I am truly stuck on what to get Son-Friend as a “meaningful” present.  I have a few smaller ones for him, but not the main one.  I know that he wants a satellite radio system installed in his car, but out of practicality, I will not do that; he can go get that his damn self, or make g-f do it.  I have to draw the line *somewhere*, and I do at $300 + worth of gravy-type silliness that I don’t even have myself.  If it were something *needed*, I would do it, but I try to back away from the $100-or-more-end of the spectrum when gifting friends, even if they are Son-Friends.  It just sets a bad precedent, ‘cos he couldn’t (and shouldn’t) reciprocate in kind.  Although, okay, by the time I add up everything I get for some people, it is probably over that.  I avoid dissonance on that by just not adding.  :-D

Butsoanyway.

So I have to get a main present for him and for my mother.  I think that is it.  I think.  And I do not know what I will do about either of them.   I will figure it out tomorrow, I guess.  

I am so, so, SO very bad at giving presents, because I never, ever feel as if I have gotten something good, or appropriate, or…whatever.  I tend towards over-gifting, and primarily because I feel that most of the time, I under-gift.  On the other hand, I *hate* being a recipient.  A lot.  It makes me feel weird.  I feel inordinately indebted, and as if what I got for them was not enough even more so.  If everything in gift-giving could be run my way, I would get only cards, or something simple, and get to open it first, so that things did not go the other way—where they open mine first, and then focus on me with their present.  I just hate doing it that way.  I think that it comes out of my own insecurity.  Well, really I *know* it does.  

And Nurse Betty just IM’d me; she loved her present.  Oh, thank god.  I have not opened mine from her yet, but I am sure that it is fantastic; she is good about things like that.  As stupid as it sounds in retrospect, as soon as I had bought it and sent it off, I had second thoughts about how I could have done better by her, and that sort of thing.  LOL…she said that she had blowback from a GI insertion of Lortab, and if I drive over right now I can lick her hand before she hops in the shower. ;-)  I told her that I wasn’t fit to drive after my nightly vodka-and-Versed, but I thanked her for her philanthropic gesture.  :-D

And we’re kidding, by the way.  

Sigh…I have to plan better next year, or something.  

1 comment:

Scott Johnson said...

Good luck with your gift-giving; I hope you're able to bring a smile to every face.

Your blog title impresses me. Anyone who reworks a 1980s Run DMC rap as a blog title is worthy of respect! :)

Merry Christmas!