Tuesday, December 13, 2005

One down, two to go, another trap, and more stinky chow

Yay!

The sneaky little kitties have been avoiding my traps all weekend, but I have finally starved one out.  

Yes, that is correct, I have not fed them.  And that has made me very sad.

So I have been putting wet cat food in a bowl in the trap, and I guess Momcat had told her squooshables not to go near it.  Well, one caved.  And I swung by Eviljob on the way home from waiting with Mummers for a tow (long story; let it suffice to say that I never cease to be amazed at how often such an allegedly ‘quality’ car bites it.  Even though this time I actually do think she got bad gas), and…::drum roll::…I had caught a black tuxedo squooshable!!  

Yay!

What broke my heart was that Momcat was sitting right by the trap until I came up, keeping her extremely distressed baby company.  I really almost cried.  But I collected the cage, tried to not think about the mess Little One was making all over my upholstery (which I try to keep in good condition), and headed off to Dr Vet’s, then Mom called.  They couldn’t get to her car today, and so she wanted me to drive for thirty minutes in rush-hour traffic to pick her up, because her driver’s licence was expired, and she was busy getting into a fight with the rental place at the dealership over how they should rent a car to her even with an expired licence and so she missed the courtesy shuttle and would have to wait at least an hour, but she didn’t want to wait because she was pissed.

Oh, hell.

So the little black-tuxedoed squooshable was howling because it thought I was taking it off to Certain Death and I wanted to listen to NPR so at a long light I reached into the trap and got it out.  It half-hissed at me once, but didn’t do anything else, and as soon as I scruffed it, it went limp and calmed down.  He (or she—it kept its tail tightly wound around its little business, and I did not feel like prying) then let me hold him for the rest of the drive, and was really a very agreeable little baby.  :-)  She may be mean, but Momcat sure does make nice kittens.  And I did not get to listen to NPR really, ‘cos I was talking to the little squooshable and telling it that I was not going to kill it, no matter what its Mom may have said.  It stayed perfectly still mostly, even though I could only hold it with my left hand ‘cos I had to steer and shift with my right.  It even fell asleep on me for a few minutes.  I think we have had a busy day today.  

So as I was driving, trying to make it there before they closed, it occurred to me that since Son-Friend lives about twenty minutes away, I could ask him to meet me and take this kitten, ‘cos he owes me, plus he did so well with Isabella and Mistar, my Squooshable’s brother and sister.  So I called him.

He not only met me and took the cat, he volunteered to take Mummers home—so I was thrilled.  And that gave me a chance to clean all of the wet cat food off my seat and floor from where the little squooshable had tried to hide in the bowl I had put in the cage.  

It really did—it tried to hide in the bowl.  Poor baby!  It tried as hard as it could to squoosh itself into a little ball and cram itself into the bowl which it had knocked on its side so that the food could pour all over my seat and floor…sigh.  So when I pulled it out to hold it, it was all covered in wet cat food.  But I do not mind.  And my car cleaned up mostly ok; once I am done with Momcat & Co., I will go get it shampooed and stuff.  

But I am happy!  And then I picked up Chinese (they are really nice to me at this place around the corner from me—they gave me a calendar, and a free fortune cookie that had either a really nice, or totally mean fortune, depending upon how one took it), then came home, peeled off my wet-with-cat-food clothes, showered, and watched Cold Case Files.  

Yay!

And Son-Friend said that the squooshable is doing fine; as soon as he got it home and into its cage, it went to the bathroom, drank and ate a lot, and then passed out.  And Son-Friend will take it to his vet in the morning to get FeLV & AIDS tests, and Revolution for fleas.  

I am *SOOOO* happy!!!

Oh…and…my fortune said, “You make people realise that there exist other beauties in the world”.  I am going to take that the nice way for the time being.  And it also says that fruit is shui-guo in Chinese.  If it turns out they intended that in a mean way, I will go kick some red-typewriter-writing-on wise old Chinese butt.  

:-D

And I really would love some hot chocolate.  Or cold eggnog.  Or soy milk.  

Sigh.

G’night.

No comments: